w(a/o)nderings

i love golden afternoon sunshine and feeling nostalgic. i love dancing till i cant feel my feet and getting rides home in the fresh new daylight with strangers. i love drinking tea and painting in monochromatic colors. i love rambling and secret drawers. i love science fiction and nabokov. i love bright eyes and royksopp. i love you loving me.

My Photo
Name:

often times an insufferable know it all

Saturday, April 04, 2009

The Book Thief

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
April 2009

I'm always wary of books that are No. 1 New York Times bestsellers. I suppose it's a latent snobbery and not wanting to read things that are too obvious or accessible. Okay. It's a blatant snobbery. This is not to say I will not read a book that is a bestseller, but I usually will approach it with more skepticism and despite my best attempts not to be biased towards it, I probably offer a harsher critique because of its stature.

The Book Thief was a No. 1 New York Times bestseller.

I enjoyed reading it and it even made me cry, but not because I connected so much with the characters in the book as much as I recognized the loss they each had to endure. I don't think that it "deserves a place on the shelf with The Diary of Anne Frank...Poised to become a classic." Basically, slightly overrated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home