w(a/o)nderings

i love golden afternoon sunshine and feeling nostalgic. i love dancing till i cant feel my feet and getting rides home in the fresh new daylight with strangers. i love drinking tea and painting in monochromatic colors. i love rambling and secret drawers. i love science fiction and nabokov. i love bright eyes and royksopp. i love you loving me.

My Photo
Name:

often times an insufferable know it all

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

East, West - Salman Rushdie

East West - Salman Rushdie
February 2009

I was reading Midnight's Children a couple of years ago when Alicia came to visit and after she accused me of reading it to "look smart", I actually put it down. I've since read most of it, but while the writing was excellent and Rushdie proved what a master of language he is at every turn, I was not engaged by the book and found my attention wandering all the time. I was also reading it during a really busy period and it's the kind of book that requires a bit of commitment.

East West is a book of short stories with a common theme of East meeting West running throughout. The stories all have a bittersweet quality to them and the feeling that for everything that is given, there is something taken. It's a tension that I've felt in my own life and have sometimes found difficult to resolve. There were a couple of stories that I felt were long-winded and while they were extremely clever, they were not fun or interesting to read. I think ultimately I am not a Salman Rushdie fan, but he is one of those authors who I will try out every now and again because I want to "look smart".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home